The Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Kenya (IQSK) is an organisation specifically charged with promoting and safeguarding the interests of the Kenyan Quantity Surveyor. The primary objective of IQSK is to promote the advancement of the practice of Quantity Surveying and its application in Kenya.
The Institute of Quantity Surveyors of Kenya (IQSK) was founded in 1994 as a non-political and non-profit making organization whose primary objective is to promote the general advancement of the practice of Quantity Surveying and its application in Kenya including facilitating the exchange of information of the Institute and otherwise.
‘A world class institute that promotes the advancement and practice of Quantity Surveying in Africa’
The mission of the Institute to the industry includes and not limited to the following:
- To promote an enabling environment that helps Quantity Surveyors achieve excellence in delivery of their services.
- To promote, regulate and enforce best quality surveying standards and practices.
- To promote cooperation with professional organisations representing Quantity Surveyors regionally.
“At the IQSK, we promote the advancement of Quantity Surveying profession by embracing best professional practices. We do this by promoting highest ethical standards, encouraging continuous professional education and development, regulating practice and research to provide best quantity surveying solutions”
- Discipline and commitment
- Objectivity and impartiality
- Corporate social responsibilities
- Environmental conservation
- To promote the advancement of the practice of Quantity Surveying and its application in Kenya including facilitating the exchange of information of the Institute and otherwise.
- To do all things which the Council of the Institute may deem proper, including advising the Government, Public Bodies and other individuals on matters concerning Quantity Surveying.
- To co-operate with the Board of Registration of Architects and Quantity Surveyors, and other relevant Societies and institutions on matters concerning Quantity Surveying education, training, examinations and practice.
- To Co-operate with universities, other educational institutions and public educational authorities for furtherance of education and training in Quantity Surveying and practice.
- To print, publish, sell, lend and distribute the proceedings or reports of the Institute or any papers, communications, works or treaties on Quantity Surveying or its applications or subject connected therewith.
- To do all other things incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects or any.
- The Institute shall have no political objective affiliation.
1.5THE SERVICES OF A QUANTITY SURVEYOR
The role of a Quantity Surveyor in connection with building contracts can be summarized as follows:-
- Financial Advisor
- Prepares budgets/estimates for building projects.
- Advises on the effects of quality to the budget.
- Advises on what size and standard of structure can be constructed for a given expenditure.
- Act with other consultants to ensure that the financial provisions of the contract are properly interpreted and applied so the client’s financial interest is safeguarded and that the contractor is paid a fair price for the works.
- Construction Advisor
- Advising on the cost of alternative materials
- Advising on the cost of construction method
- Advising on effect of site condition on budget
- Advising on the feasibility of different sites
- Advising on tendering procedure and contractual arrangements
- Preparation of tender documents
- Exercise cost control during construction to ensure that cost is not exceeded without authority
- Contract Administrator
- Advising on matters between Client and Consultants
- Advising on matters between Client and Contractor
- Advising on contract interpretation, payments, changes in scope of works, variations, claims, final accounts etc.
In Conclusion a Quantity Surveyor is expected to:
- Give impartial advice
- Achieve value for money
- Manage the budget and control costs
- Achieve a quality product
- Satisfy the client